** Financial Support for Moving Expenses is available for this position **
Are you someone who has a real passion for helping others? Are you a registered Social Worker looking to highlight your knowledge, skills, and abilities in a new and dynamic environment? We currently have an exciting opportunity for you to bring your excellent work ethic to our Primary Care department.
In accordance with Northern Health’s vision of an idealized system of services built on a foundation of Primary Care where people and their families receive primary care services in Primary Care Homes supported by interprofessional teams; the Primary Care Social Worker functions as a member of the interprofessional team and applies best practice to provide comprehensive assessment, care planning and intervention for people and their families. Working collaboratively with other health care providers and the interprofessional team, the Social Worker provides direct psychosocial care, counselling and group work, system navigation and advocacy, education and linkage to relevant specialized or community resources while facilitating client self-management. The Social Worker is responsible for providing social work services to maintain or improve the health and functioning of persons, families and communities.
Shift Rotation/Hours of work: Monday to Friday, Days - 08:00 to 16:00
New Wage: As of April 1, 2023, the new wage is: $41.04 - $51.27/hour
Primary and Community Care
Northern Health’s approach to person and family-centered care involves creating health care teams, which include your doctor or nurse practitioner and other health care professionals, to provide a range of health care services. The quality of care increases by providing continuity of care over time and across settings, and will result in better long-term health outcomes.
The communities that make up what is collectively known as the Upper Skeena, The Hazeltons , are situated on the unceded traditional territory of the Gitxsan Nation. The Gitxsan people have lived on these lands for 10,000+ years and along with the Wet'suwet'en Nation to the east, established the precedent setting Delgamuukw court decision in 1997.
Some of the communities included in the Upper Skeena are the incorporated municipalities of Hazelton and New Hazelton, unincorporated settlements of South Hazelton, Two Mile, Suskwa Valley, Miskinish (Cedarvale), Kitwanga Valley, Andimal and the Kispiox Valley, and the 7 Indigenous villages of Gitanyow, Gitwangak, Gitsegukla, Hagwilget, Gitanmaax, Sik-e-dakh, and Anspayaxw. Some would say the natural beauty of the land is unparalleled – it certainly holds a central place in health and wellbeing for many of the Indigenous and non-Indigenous people who live on these unceded lands.
Check out The Hazeltons, known as the historic heartland of northwest BC.
What Northern Health has to offer you!
• Comprehensive benefit packages including MSP, extended health/dental and a municipal pension plan for part-time and full-time employees. Casuals have the option of paying for benefits.
• Four weeks vacation with one year of continuous service
• Financial support for moving expenses is available for eligible positions
• Employee referral program
• Employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
• Spectacular outdoor activities and the shortest commutes in BC
• “Loan Forgiveness Programs” are offered through the Federal and BC Government for eligible professions.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work from an accredited university.
• Two years recent related experience in a healthcare, or a combination of related education, training and experience.
• Current registration with the British Columbia College of Social Workers.
• Current valid BC driver’s license
Skills and Abilities:
• Assessment and Treatment: Demonstrated ability to complete initial and ongoing assessments and utilize appropriate social work interventions.
• Teaching: Ability to teach and coach both one-on-one and in groups.
• Knowledge Integration: Integrates best practice and current research evidence to support professional practice decisions and actions.
• Communication: Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with people and their families as well as the public, physicians and members of the interdisciplinary team. Ability to effectively resolve interpersonal differences and resolve conflict.
• Critical Thinking: Problem solves demonstrating critical thinking and decision making skills.
• Human Caring and Relationship Centered Practice: Ability to promote person centered care which includes maintaining sensitivity to diverse cultures and preferences, social justice concerns and the need for advocacy.
• Management: Demonstrated ability to organize work, set objectives and priorities and achieve results.
• Leadership: Demonstrates creative planning for change and innovation, and participates in professional development of self and others.
• Teamwork: Demonstrated ability to foster teamwork and a commitment to excellence in the provision of person centred care. Promotes cooperation among the interprofessional team and collaborates across disciplines
• Equipment: Demonstrated computer skills including the use of Windows based programs. Ability to operate other related equipment as required in the specific practice area.
• Ability: Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
Who we are
Northern Health covers an area of nearly 600,000 square kilometers and offers health services in over two dozen communities and 55 First Nation’s communities. We deliver hospital and community-based health care for a population of 300,000.
Employing more than 7,000 staff throughout the region, Northern Health provides exceptional health services for Northerners, through the efforts of dedicated staff and physicians, in partnership with communities and organizations in Northern BC.
There is a wide variety of career opportunities available in our two dozen hospitals, 25 long-term care facilities, public health units and many other offices providing specialized services.
This posting is covered by the Provincial Health Officer’s mandatory COVID-19 vaccination orders and selected applicant(s) must comply.